In today’s competitive restaurant industry, it’s more important than ever to find ways to increase sales and profits. One effective strategy is to upsell your customers. Upselling is a technique used by businesses to convince customers to buy additional products or services.
In the case of restaurants, this can mean encouraging customers to order additional food items, drinks, or even desserts. Upselling can be an effective way for restaurants to increase revenue and improve customer satisfaction.
How online ordering platforms can help restaurants upsell:
Online ordering platforms like Techryde can make upselling easier for restaurants. With online ordering, restaurants can offer customers additional menu items or specials that they may not have known about otherwise. For example, if a customer orders a pizza through Techryde’s platform, the restaurant might suggest adding a salad or a side dish to complete the meal.
Techryde’s platform also allows restaurants to personalize their recommendations based on customer order history. If a customer frequently orders a certain type of pizza, the restaurant could recommend a drink or side dish that pairs well with that pizza.
With Techryde, restaurants can enhance their online ordering with upsells and boost their sales and profits. To learn more about how Techryde can help your restaurant, visit techryde.com.
In addition, online ordering platforms can help restaurants promote their specials and discounts. For example, a restaurant could offer a free appetizer with the purchase of two entrees.
There are a number of ways to upsell your customers through online ordering. Here are a few tips:
- Highlight your best sellers: Your online menu is a great place to highlight your best-selling items. This will help customers know what to order, and it can also make them more likely to upsell.
- Offer add-ons and extras: Customers love to customize their orders, so offering add-ons and extras is a great way to upsell. Some popular add-ons include sides, drinks, and desserts.
- Suggest upgrades: If a customer orders a steak, you could suggest upgrading to a larger cut of meat or a higher-quality sauce. You could also offer to upgrade their sides or desserts.
- Use cross-selling: Cross-selling is the practice of selling related items to customers. For example, if a customer orders a burger, you could suggest they also order fries. You could also offer a combo meal that includes the burger, fries, and a drink.
- Personalize your recommendations: You can use data about your customers’ past orders to personalize your upsell recommendations. For example, if a customer has previously ordered a steak, you could suggest they try the new seafood dish on the menu.
- Make it easy to upsell: The easier it is for customers to upsell, the more likely they are to do it. Make sure your online ordering system is easy to navigate and that the upsell options are clearly visible.
By following these tips, you can enhance your restaurant online ordering with upsells and boost your sales and profits.
There are several advantages to upselling for restaurants, including:
- Increased revenue: The most obvious advantage of upselling is that it can increase revenue for restaurants. By encouraging customers to order additional items, restaurants can increase the total amount of each order.
- Improved customer satisfaction: Upselling can also improve customer satisfaction. By suggesting complementary items, restaurants can help customers create a more complete meal. This can lead to a better overall dining experience and encourage customers to return in the future.
- Enhanced menu visibility: Upselling can also help restaurants promote their menu items. By suggesting additional items to customers, restaurants can highlight menu items that might otherwise be overlooked.
Tips for successful upselling
Even though upselling can be a successful technique for restaurants, it’s crucial to employ it without coming across as pushy or excessively aggressive. Here are some pointers for upselling effectively:
- Personalized recommendations: Use consumer order history to customize recommendations and make suggestions for products that are likely to be of interest.
- Promote discounts and promotions: Make sure to prominently display specials and promotions that stimulate upselling on the online ordering platform.
- Offer value: Ensure that any suggested upsells are beneficial to the client. If customers believe they are getting a good deal, they are more willing to accept upselling.
- Use high-quality images of your food: Visuals are a powerful way to entice customers and make them more likely to upsell. Make sure your online menu features high-quality images of all of your food items.
- Use social media to promote your upsells: Share your upsell offers on social media to reach a wider audience. You can also use social media to run contests and giveaways to encourage customers to upsell.
Tracking the Results of Your Upselling Efforts
It’s important to track the results of your upselling efforts so that you can see what is working and what is not. This information can be used to improve your upselling strategy over time.
There are a number of ways to track the results of your upselling efforts. You can use your restaurant POS system to track the number of upsells that are sold, the average value of upsells, and the percentage of customers who purchase upsells.
You can also use email marketing and social media to track the results of your upselling efforts. By tracking the number of click-throughs and conversions from your upsell offers, you can see how effective your upselling strategy is in reaching and engaging your customers.
In conclusion, online ordering platforms present an excellent opportunity for restaurants to leverage upselling techniques effectively. Upselling can be an effective way for restaurants to increase revenue and improve customer satisfaction. With the help of online ordering platforms like Techryde, restaurants can make upselling easier and more effective. Restaurants can successfully upsell and expand their business by:
- Customizing recommendations
- Emphasizing specials and promotions
- Providing value
- Keeping the process straightforward
By following these tips, restaurants can use upselling to boost their bottom line and provide a better dining experience for their customers.
Here are some additional facts about upselling in the restaurant industry:
- According to a study by the National Restaurant Association, upselling can increase average order value by up to 20%.
- The average restaurant customer spends about $30 per order. By upselling, you could potentially increase the average order value by $5-10.
- Upselling is not just about selling more food and drinks. It’s also about providing a better dining experience for customers.
- According to a study by UEAT, restaurants that use upselling techniques can see an average increase in AOV of 19%.
- When done correctly, upselling can be a win-win for both restaurants and customers.
- 70% of customers are more likely to buy something if they are offered an upsell.
- Upselling should be friendly and helpful, and customers should not feel pressured to buy anything they do not want.
- 90% of customers are more likely to upsell if they’re offered a discount and 95% if they’re offered a loyalty program benefit.
- According to HubSpot, upselling techniques are 68% more effective for customer retention than focusing solely on acquiring new customers.
- Upsells contribute to an average increase of 10% to 30% in overall revenue for restaurants, according to a study by QSR Magazine.
Here are some examples of upselling:
- A restaurant might recommend a side of fries with a burger.
- A clothing store might recommend a belt to go with a new pair of jeans.
- An electronics store might recommend an extended warranty with a new laptop.
About TechRyde Inc.